Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Re-seated!

All 6 of my chairs were causing major sliver problems... And so... Here is my First tutorial... I'm so nervous..... Thanks Laura for the push!
Unscrew the seat, make a template. Cut out seats w/ a jigsaw. We just bought some MDF from Home Depot- the real wood is oh so expensive! And since it will be covered...
Cover with foam. I bought 1/2 inch from JoAnns. I could have got thicker- but I was worried about little spills, and the seats ending up smelling like rotten milk. So its on the thin side. But no worries you won't be watching 24 on this! you'll be eating!
This pic isn't quite right- the batting actually goes on top of the green foam- but I wanted you to see that you also make the green foam bigger to soften the edges too.
Cut your fabric even larger. Layer like so.
Pull tight, and staple away. Since I was trying to keep things centered, I would staple one side, and then the opposite, making sure it was even-steven.
Then those stubborn staples had to be hammered in.
Ahh! The hard part is over!
Drill it back in. We discovered we needed shorter screws too. But its lovely.
Viola! Seating for 6!

2 comments:

  1. Love them! The tutorial is great, I feel like I could do that too (maybe, but only because I'm not always brave). keep em' coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are DARLING!! Do you know how much money you saved?! The fabric is full of personality.

    ReplyDelete