Sunday, January 23, 2011

la Isla, the lsland

We purchased a short-sale home and closed August 31, 2010. WE then spent the month of September remodeling... well more like painting and redoing flooring. We hired some of the help, and did a lot ourselves. So here you can see the monster island. It measures about 8ftx4ft, Its huge, and deserves more of a focus than just a glance. So I started brainstorming with our carpenter friend..... I wanted it to look like a "unique piece" not just part of the existing scheme.
I just didn't like the way the island was just 1/2 cabinetry and 1/2 drywall... so I had him beadboard, and batten board-frame it all out. I love how it turned out. We cut a lot of costs by going with MDF, especially since I knew I was going to paint it. I think the perfect color is red. Red is totally neutral in my book. If you ever want a splash of color- RED, it goes with everything.... well, if you get the right red. I tried about 4 different shades. It had to be a cooler red, not too orange. And Red is a tough color to paint. I recommend using a blue primer if possible. And lots of coats, and patience in between drying times. You can't really go off of they labels. I don't think it was dry until about week 2.
IT WORKED!! I finished it with Black glaze. I will soon post my window to match.... and maybe another view of the other side. Sorry! I also found cute knobs to make it stand out even more. You totally need more views of this beauty. So I'll post more later darling!

2 comments:

  1. It is LOVELY! Who doesn't want a red island? I do, I do. It's so fun and I can't wait to see more photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful!! I am so impressed with you! Did you change it to bead board or was it already like that?

    ReplyDelete